Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday, October 28, 2005

The Call to Duty

I have an odd emotional streak.

I used to be, honestly, quite stoic in my emotions. However, life has a way of giving you opportunities to change that. While I still consider myself pretty steadfast, I get moved by things that are important to me - but they might be odd to many.

Example one: Have you seen "The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King"? When the White City, Minas Tirith, is having its last gasp, the Riders of Rohan show up on the enemy's right flank. The Rohirim see that they are only, perhaps, five thousand against perhaps ten times that many. Despite that, with words that speak of their doom,

"Ride now...Ride now...Ride! Ride for ruin and the world's ending! Death!"
, they lower their visors, lower their lances, and charge forward into certain death - into odds that can only go horribly against them - and they do it not because they will win, or for glory, or honor, or even because it will save lives. They do it simply because they must. I shed tears during that scene in the movie. My son asked me why I was crying. I told him, "I hope you understand one day." I even admit that I get choked up writing about it.

Why is that? It is certainly not typical, I would guess. Perhaps it is because I know men like that, who would give all against impossible odds in the service of good - even when they can't win.

That may be too much for you all. There are real life correlates, however, that may move you.

Go to the "Call to Duty" site. After the intro, click on "The American Soldier", then on "The Paul Smith Story: Intro" on the right side. Follow it with "The Battle" (which is a CGI movie with voice-over) and finally, "The Conclusion".

If I were ranting about the media, I would wonder why I had never heard of SFC Paul Smith, yet hear plenty about 2,000 dead in Iraq. However, I'm not. I just hope to share with you the things that move me.

4 Comments:

  • That is moving Hammer. That strikes me as something that my husband would get emotional about--that and if the Kings or the Blues won the Stanly Cup--crying? Anyway, it does move me but not in that way. It does however make me angry. I understand the way you feel, but I see it from a different perspective. My husband is a cop and a marine. When you are a wifeand have 4 children--valor is not a reason to die. I just don't see a reason to die FOR nothing. If there is a reason, that is different. To save the life of another...but it still chokes me why a person in charge of their family would want to sacrifice himself and hurt them. I just have a real problem there. My husband told me recently that he had the oportunity to go to Iraq recently and train the Iraqi police. He had "planned" to go. But he was disqualifed because of his back. I did not speak to him for weeks. Another: his friend was killed in the line of duty, just minutes after he left shift--in fact the deputy who was killed even took his gun. I know that someone has to do the job--but, now I'm going to cry. Sorry. Example, movie, Ladder 49--I cannot finish watching it without bawling, then I get angry and I cannot sleep.

    By Blogger IMO, at 10/28/2005 09:37:00 PM  

  • That's a great comment Teresa. I am going to post on the interesting, but not unexpected, position you hasve laid out. It will be third, after my final post on heresy and a chapter in the Team Hammer story (as requested).

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 11/04/2005 03:11:00 PM  

  • Anymore I am moved by far too many things. I don't mind tearing up while talking about my son's baptism. I don't mind getting choked while discussing the son I lost 15 years ago. But I wonder why the tears start to form when I see a great performance on the football field...

    By Blogger rev-ed, at 11/07/2005 11:45:00 PM  

  • Like I said, it must be a "man" thing--don't get it. You are tearing for exactly the opposite of what I would.

    By Blogger IMO, at 11/09/2005 01:59:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home