Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday, June 23, 2006

Hammertime's Dream Sport

If the opportunity ever arrives, I'll be there. My wildest recreational dreams have come true.

Chessboxing.

"Two competitors face each other in 11 alternating rounds, six of chess, five of boxing. A bout begins with chess, which is played on a board placed directly in the middle of the ring. Each round of chess lasts four minutes. After each chess round, the bell sounds, and workmen remove the chessboard for a two-minute round of boxing, the gloves go back on, the punching recommences. Participants win by way of knockout, checkmate, referee's decision, or if his opponent exceeds the allotted total of 12 minutes for an entire match on the chessboard."

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I know few men who are capable of a good chess match and a good boxing match. I would love to meet these guys...and knock them out, one way or the other.

3 Comments:

  • Would you settle for chessgolfboxing?

    By Blogger David M. Smith, at 6/24/2006 05:06:00 PM  

  • Sorry, David - no deal.

    I am a good chess player, and a very good boxer. However, my golf game is pathetic. I have played four times in my life. I managed to get my first bogey this last time out on a par 3.

    Besides, there is no "knockout" in golf. You have to play the whole thing. While I may have the endurance to go five boxing rounds, I'll choose to knock 'em out in the second every time if I can.

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 6/28/2006 11:40:00 AM  

  • Hammer my friend,

    Golf takes the mental ability of chess and the physical ability of boxing.

    While there has been an occasional boxer who overcame and beat an opponent of superior physical ability through advanced tactics and mental fitness, there has never been a golfer who has won solely on physical ability.

    I would suggest golf as a way to improve both your chess and boxing abilities.

    By Blogger David M. Smith, at 7/03/2006 03:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home