Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Saturday, April 09, 2005

Spirtual Growth

Sometimes, we can feel when we grow intellectually, emotionally, or spiritually. Other times, someone else sees the growth in us. Aside from those, there are those times when we discover our own growth through an unsuspected source.

I started planning my seminary time a year and a half ago - as far as what classes I would take. Since it is almost time to sign up for classes for next fall, I have had to relook my plan. The seminary has changed their program for the Master of Divinity in Pastoral Care that I am seeking. What I noticed was how the classes I was interested in have changed. It is probably best to show you what they were, and what they have become.

Before: Electives selected-
"The Apocrypha and Psuedepigrapha"
"The Psychology and Theology of Family Relationships"
"Marriage and Family Counseling"
"Cults and Minority Religions in America"
"Christian Doctrine and the Natural Sciences"

After:
"Practical Theology of Pastoral Care"
"Ministry of Pastoral Care"
"Pastoral Care in Human Crises"
"Personal Counseling"
"Sexuality and Christian Counseling"

See the change? Aside from "Marriage and Family Counseling" (which I have taken in my Psychology Master's program now), the first set were all heavy on theology and theoretical issues. The second group is primarily oriented toward the care of those I will have the opportunity to minister to.

Don't get me wrong, I value the theological base and theoretical application of it. It just seems to me that my changing interest in the details of the theories to the application of ministry is a clear growth toward what Christ would have us be...or at least what he would have me be.

That said, if I get a chance to take "The Theology of Augustine", I will.

2 Comments:

  • I bid you Godspeed Hammer. I‘m impressed that you are receiving a formal theological education and hope that I can glean pertinent info from your blog in the future. I’m inspired to dig deeper myself.

    By Blogger Robert, at 4/10/2005 01:35:00 AM  

  • hey Hammer,
    Don't spread this around, but I've been finding posts with comments that I haven't answered yet.

    But I have to thank you for the heads-up, and understanding.

    I think that having a theoritical base is important for understanding certain things, but understanding people is what life's all about.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4/10/2005 11:09:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home