Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Sunday, March 18, 2007

A Burden Carried

A letter written and not sent.

A language read but not understood.

A stroke observed and not overcome.

A miscarriage with complications but without a baby.

A passage exposited and not taught.

A gospel preached and not accepted.

A man wounded and not willing to heal.

A woman in fear but willing to trust.

A mission of hope but not peace.

A word heard and yet not quite believed.

These are the things that have dominated my mind and my time the past 45 days or so. It hasn't been quite as dramatic as it sounds, but it has been dramatic enough. Perhaps I will be able to tell of some of it - but if I am to write, it is not of trials, but truth. Sometimes, though, the two dwell in the same place.

He
" Teach me, O Lord, the way of your statutes;
and I will keep it to the end.
Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
Incline my heart to your testimonies,
and not to selfish gain!
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.
Confirm to your servant your promise,
 that you may be feared.
Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.
Behold, I long for your precepts;
in your righteousness give me life!"

Ps 119:33-40

5 Comments:

  • I'd been wondering what was happening over there recently. My prayers are with you.

    pax et bonum

    By Blogger Solidus, at 3/19/2007 05:50:00 AM  

  • Hammer, bear in mind that God’s sovereignty ensures the best outcome (Romans 8:28).

    By Blogger Robert, at 3/20/2007 01:08:00 PM  

  • I've thought during this time about how those with such a small view of God, a false view of God, do when confronted with adversity. I don't mean. "How do they do it?" Anyone with some toughness can endure adversity. I mean, where do they fit God in it?

    I recognize, embrace and preach the complete sovereignty of God in all things, so it is a simple answer for my family - God knows better than we do. Furthermore, while Romans 8:28 is quoted often, many forget 8:29 - that the good spoken of is our conformity to the image of His Son.

    Those who think God does not move in our lives, who thinks he is a spirit that just tries to influence people, worship a tiny God indeed - a God who doesn't matter when push comes to shove. A God who is, in fact, smaller than I.

    I am thankful that there is no God like our God. Salvation belongs to our God. He brings life and death, well-being and calamity. He wounds and he heals. As I read aloud Psalm 119 during my mid-day prayer time, the Scriptures speak from beginning to end of the goodness and sovereignty of God in all things. Those who worship a God who cannot bring to pass everything exactly the way that he, the only wise God, knows is righteous are no better than idol worshippers.

    Who am I, O Sovereign Lord, and what is my family, that you have brought me this far? And as if this were not enough in your sight, O Sovereign Lord, you have also spoken about the future of the house of your servant. Is this your usual way of dealing with man, O Sovereign Lord?
    “What more can David say to you? For you know your servant, O Sovereign Lord. For the sake of your word and according to your will, you have done this great thing and made it known to your servant.
    “How great you are, O Sovereign Lord! There is no one like you, and there is no God but you, as we have heard with our own ears. And who is like your people Israel—the one nation on earth that God went out to redeem as a people for himself, and to make a name for himself, and to perform great and awesome wonders by driving out nations and their gods from before your people, whom you redeemed from Egypt? a You have established your people Israel as your very own forever, and you, O Lord, have become their God.
    “And now, Lord God, keep forever the promise you have made concerning your servant and his house. Do as you promised, so that your name will be great forever. Then men will say, ‘The Lord Almighty is God over Israel!’ And the house of your servant David will be established before you.
    “O Lord Almighty, God of Israel, you have revealed this to your servant, saying, ‘I will build a house for you.’ So your servant has found courage to offer you this prayer. O Sovereign Lord, you are God! Your words are trustworthy, and you have promised these good things to your servant. Now be pleased to bless the house of your servant, that it may continue forever in your sight; for you, O Sovereign Lord, have spoken, and with your blessing the house of your servant will be blessed forever

    2 Sa 7:18

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 3/21/2007 12:18:00 PM  

  • Hi Hammer,

    I can hardly wait for the details.

    God Bless! We missed you.

    By Blogger David M. Smith, at 3/22/2007 10:56:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger gomatter, at 3/23/2007 10:34:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home