Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

The Winds of Change are in the Air

I read over at The Cranky Liberal that the GOP was looking at making big gains in the African-American vote. He had posted some commentary at the end of the news article on it basically expressing that he (Cranky) thought that the GOP had no chance.

Then today, Jesse Jackson came to Florida and made an appeal for Terri Schiavo's life. Friends, I think this is the hole in the dike. I believe that the Democratic party has taken African-Americans for granted far too long, and pressed issues that are contrary to the values of many black voters. African-Americans are, as a group, more religious than whites and with Jackson stepping out of the lockstep he has been in for 20 years (as long as I can remember, at least) with the national Democratic party, I think that they will feel more justified in voting with the party that more often supports their moral values. Regardless of what I think of Jackson personally, he still remains a significant voice in black politics. We shall see.

6 Comments:

  • I just posted my take on group decision making.

    By Blogger Robert, at 3/30/2005 12:57:00 AM  

  • Cranky,

    I also think 30% is dreaming - but if it reaches 20%, then the Democratic Party wil never win another Presidency without major changes - the kind of changes they have been unwilling to do to this point, and the kind of changes that may keep the black vote. I agree that it's the Dems screwing up that makes this happen - but the Repubs not making the same kind of mistakes is worth something as well to the equation.

    As for Jackson, the question is the same - is he mad enough at the Democrats to overcome his disdain for the GOP? Doubtful, but simply not lining up with the Dems wholeheartedly would be enough to shake the ground, I think.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 3/30/2005 12:09:00 PM  

  • This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 3/30/2005 12:19:00 PM  

  • Once again we learn that David believes that liberal's opinions are a matter of opinion. Conservative opinions, however, agree with David's, which makes them much better.

    David, I love debating opinions with you, but you always get back to this little mantra of yours. You keep complaining about a lack of facts without ever presenting a fact on your own.

    I always try to give you the benefit of the doubt and try to see your point of view, but I rarely if ever feel you are doing the same. I don't know, maybe what I type doesn't demonstrate any more understanding then what you type, perhaps sitting back at your computer you occasionally say to your self "I hadn't thought of that" or "that's an interesting perspective" before determining how to reply. What do I know.

    Both Jackson and Nader came out in defense of Terri. I'm not sure what it means other than this apparently isn't a typical liberal versus conservative issue. Perhaps we finally found an issue where the moderates complain the loudest.

    By Blogger Xactiphyn, at 3/30/2005 03:51:00 PM  

  • Not only is Cranky nice enough here, but he does throw down on his site if you bring some heat. I visit his site because he returns the respect of those who comment. If you are after a fight with some liberals, they have established one called .

    I am not looking for a fight, but reasonable discussion, so I've never been there. It might be right up David's alley, though.

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 3/31/2005 04:46:00 PM  

  • Stupid blogger. I know how to do html links...

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 3/31/2005 04:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home