Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Friday, April 29, 2005

The Compromise the D's Should Love

(Note: I tried to post this last night, but as I literally typed the last word, my computer reset. I figured it was the Almighty's way of telling me to go to bed. Thus, this may not even be newsworthy any longer.)

Senator Frist offers the following:

In exchange for giving up filibustering judicial nominees, the Republicans would offer...

a) Guaranteed up-or-down votes on nominations for Circuit Courts of Appeals and Supreme Court nominees.

b) Guaranteed debate time of up to 100 hours for those nominees.

c) Guaranteed reporting of nominees from the Senate Judiciary Committee to the Senate floor.

d) Guaranteed protection of the legislative filibuster.

Additionally, Frist is refusing to turn back any of the current ten nominees.

Now, at first I thought I would be willing to part with one or two of them to get this deal. I even thought Frist was being too much of a hard case. Then I thought about it overnight.

If the Democrats' filibuster truly is all about 'debate' and 'the minority voice', isn't the guaranteed 100 hours exactly what you want? This should get an automatic 'yes' from them.

But it won't, because it isn't about debate, and it isn't about the minority voice. It is about power and obstructionism, and forcing the majority to comply with the minority. That, my friends, is not democracy.

It's like, oligarchy, or something.

Well, I know it's not a monarchy, it isn't a dictatorship, and it sure smells like communism (as practiced, not opined). Anyway, thanks to Ace.

2 Comments:

  • You read Doonesbury, David? OK, I do too. My favorite comic is "The Boondocks." I particularly liked it when one Sunday my son, after reading it, says, "Dad, do you hate blacks?" I was a bit taken aback, and said, "Do you think so?" He said, "No, but this cartoon says that Republicans hate blacks."

    I wrote the paper a letter about minmizing the funnies while printing Ted Rall, as well as Doonesbury and the Boondocks (political cartoons) in the funnies. No response, of course.

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 4/30/2005 10:54:00 PM  

  • There's a compromise, give up the filibuster and we'll let you keep the filibuster.

    By Blogger Xactiphyn, at 5/03/2005 03:56:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home