Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

A Calming Thought

As I finished up a great discussion with Mark over at the Moderate Liberal, I came to a conclusion worth expressing:

You do not need to believe that evolution is false to be a Christian.

Now, that said, I propose the following question worth consideration, if not response:

Why does anyone need to believe in evolution at all?

What is the benefit? How is the person who believes in evolution any better off than one who does not?

Don't bring the extremist crap into it, either. Anyone is capable of twisting anything to suit or make excuses for their sinful ways. Honestly, how do I, as a human being, benefit from a belief in evolution? What does it give me that I would not otherwise have, that improves either me, or more importantly, how I interact with others?

I would hold that it has none. Thus, if evolution as a macro theory that explains the origins of life and the human species causes problems with your faith, discard it...because following Christ leads one to love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faith, gentleness and self-control, against which there is no law. If evolution, because it demands that the process be unguided, removes the foundational reason for these in your mind, abandon it entirely. There is no other logical response.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home