Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Monday, August 15, 2005

Why Not?

This is a post seeking an answer from those interested in such a discussion. The question is, Why not Jesus? I would like anyone and everyone who would like to post one, just one reason for why they are not a follower of Jesus Christ in the comments. I also ask that no one else attempt to rebut the reasons put forth, as I will instead make each reason a post of its own.

Some may have one, two, or thirty reasons, but what I am looking for is the one that is the, well, biggest, I suppose. The one you think keeps you from following Him the most.

I don't have a lot of readers who will be so bold, maybe three at most, but maybe someone else will stop in and have a go at it as well.

Thanks!

3 Comments:

  • Why not be a follower of Jesus? Or why not be a follower of the religion created in his name?

    You asked the first, but I believe you meant the second, believing the two to be the same.

    By Blogger Xactiphyn, at 8/15/2005 07:36:00 PM  

  • That's a great question Mark! I ask the first question, not the second. However, as you noticed, "follower of Jesus" means more than thinking he said a few great things and appplying them. There are those who consider themselves followers of Jesus because they try to love their neighbors and love God, but being selective about what Jesus said and only following those things yopu choose isn't the deal. After all, do you know someone who calls themselves a communist but disavows Marx? Stalin, Mao, Castro, and everyone who applied it, sure, but Marx? I don't know anyone who calls themselves an evolutionist but honestly believes that God created something first - which is decidedly different than believing in God and believing in evolution at the same time. Jesus said he was the way, the truth and the life - so he is or he isn't.

    I'm addressing faith, not intellectual assent of ideas. The question might better be put, "Why not be a follower of Jesus, in the mold of the Apostle's Creed?" Is it bigger than that? Sure, but it's a good place to start.

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 8/16/2005 02:47:00 PM  

  • Well, I am a follower of Jesus Christ now, but 33 years ago my reason was I had a problem with authority and I did not want to submit myself to His Lordship. Sadly, I still dig in my heels every now and then, to my detriment. Happily, it isn't nearly as often as in those early years!

    By Blogger Pilot Mom, at 8/17/2005 06:48:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home