Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Monday, December 19, 2005

Talk Worth Hearing

I've wanted for a while to make a plug for the talk radio hosts I listen to.

I used to be a Rush/Hannity kind of guy. I still consider them to be two of the very bet in the business, but they are the two most popular shows because they aim first to entertain, and relate to listeners as if their desire is to be entertained first, educated second. I also think that they have been doing it for so long that they expect fight, and sometimes start one with a caller who is on their side!

I have found, as a guy who thinks himself a thinker, that I like ot be treated as such by the shows I listen to. Thus, an entertainer is often not what I want to spend my time listening to. There are two shows beside these two that are good at entertainment, though - Laura Ingraham and Michael Medved. Ingraham (pronounced Ingram) is much more of a satrist than other hosts, and focuses almost exclusively upon politics. She also allows the least time to callers. Medved entertains by spending most of his time crushing counter-argument. He asks almost exclusively for callers who disagree with him, and he is an excellent argument presenter, who does not allow his ooponent to proceed in an argument when a faulty premise is presented.

However, my two favorite hosts are Bill Bennett and Dennis Prager. Bennett I have mentioned before - he is always respectful, courteous, and seems as if he really is interested when his caller veers off into a description of a casserole. However, it is Prager that I enjoy the most. Bennett isn't much of an argument guy, but Prager seems to be the best in the business at dissecting liberal claptrap. He maintains Bennett's demeanor and avoids the shrill vein that can erupt in the other four. Furthermore, he talk about the broadest range of issues of any of them - he's not just a politics guy.

If you have never read or listened to Dennis Prager, I highly recommend it. You can listen online from 12-2pm Eastern here. His website also has links to many of the columns he has written, and his writing is as smart as his show. Check it out!

3 Comments:

  • Hi Hammer,

    In the early to late 80’s, Dennis Prager broadcast a program in Los Angeles called “Religion on the Line” that you would have loved. He has talked about it a few times on his national broadcast.

    Most conservatives will agree with Rush, Laura, and Hannity more than Dennis. However, Dennis is the most thoughtful of the bunch. I agree with you. He is also my favorite.

    Have you ever heard Larry Elder?

    By Blogger David M. Smith, at 12/19/2005 06:01:00 PM  

  • I have not had a chance to hear Larry Elder, although I did read a book by him a few years back.

    For some reason I think that Prager intends to unseat Barbara Boxer in 2010. Did I make that up?

    By Blogger Hammertime, at 12/27/2005 10:09:00 AM  

  • Hi Hammer,

    Dennis Prager and Larry Elder have both been encouraged by Republican leaders to enter politics. Both of them seem interested. However, neither would have a chance at a statewide office in California. Perhaps in another State, but not here.

    By Blogger David M. Smith, at 12/27/2005 03:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home